In case you needed us to tell you, the sizes of house blocks in Brisbane are shrinking (see note). This means now, more than ever, every bit of your outdoor space needs to work and this includes your carport.
The trick to make your Brisbane carport not only work, but make it work harder, is to make it versatile. The best way to explain this is by way of example.
Let’s say you, like a lot of Brisbane people, have a home built in the last 10 years or so on one of Brisbane’s smaller blocks. With a bit of luck you’ve got some space for some greenery and a small outdoor living area, but you’re unlikely to have an outdoor space big enough for entertaining a reasonable number of people.
If you have a carport, the answer to your dilemma is staring you in the face. Literally, every time you hop into and out of your car. Simply drive your car or cars out of your carport and you’ll have a space that should be big enough for entertaining. For a standard single carport, you’ll have at least 16m2. For a double, it will a minimum of 30m2. Plenty of space for a table, chairs and people.
Entertaining in your Brisbane carport
The idea of using your carport for entertaining is certainly not new and has been done for decades. However, to do it well it’s worth some consideration:
- The furniture you will use is your main consideration. For the occasional gathering, you might simply move your inside furniture outside, but if you entertain more regularly you’ll want to use outdoor furniture. The best solution is to buy folding chairs and a folding table that you can store when not in use and can be set up in minutes.
- An outdoor gathering in Australia isn’t complete without a barbecue. If you have a barbecue in your small outdoor living area, you can use that. If you don’t, consider buying a portable barbecue that you can use when required.
- Even if your entertaining begins in the middle of the day, there’s probably a chance it will go into evening. It’s a great idea for security and practicality for your Brisbane carport to have lights and they’ll be perfect for when you are entertaining. So, if your carport currently doesn’t have lights consider getting an electrician to help you install some. Another inexpensive option is to have some party lights or fairy lights that you can plug into an outdoor powerpoint and hook to your carport when required.
- Like any outdoor living area, having nice greenery surrounds is advantageous, so spend a little time tidying the front garden and adding plants.
- Privacy can often be a concern when using a carport as an outdoor entertainment area. You could, if council regulations allow, add a garage door to your carport, but a more economical solution is to install outdoor blinds.
- If you’re planning to build a new carport for your Brisbane home and want to double it as an entertainment area, you might consider adding storage space into the design. This will make it so much easier for storage of folding outdoor furniture and for setting up.
Note: In 2018, a HIA-CoreLogic Residential Land Report revealed that the median block size in Queensland had shrunk by 27.8 per cent in only 10 years. At that stage, the median block size was 434m2.