If you’re thinking of building a new carport for you Adelaide home, one of the decisions you’ll need to make is what to use for the roofing material. There are a lot of good choices, with metal sheeting and tiles the two most popular, but there’s another material you should consider that has clear benefits.
That material, of course, is polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is best-known as a light-weight roofing material, although it can be used for other purposes too, including walls.
The major benefit of using polycarbonate is, dare we say it, clear. That is, it’s transparent and lets the light through. This makes it an excellent roofing choice if your Adelaide carport is going to be built in an area that is already quite dark. In these situations, using metal roof sheeting or tiles will only add to the darkness.
All well and good you might think, but perhaps you believe that polycarbonate looks a bit flimsy. Will a roof made from polycarbonate withstand a significant hailstorm or smaller branches dropping on to it? The simple answer is yes. Polycarbonate is a special plastic called thermoplastic, that is strong and impact resistant. It’s not only strong enough to use on roofs; you will also find thermoplastic used in eyewear, fighter jets and bullet-proof glass!
The benefits of using polycarbonate for your Adelaide carport don’t stop there
The benefits of polycarbonate are much greater than this. There are many more reasons you might consider using the material for the roof of your new Adelaide carport:
- Most polycarbonates used in roofing have a protective film that filters out harmful UV rays.
- Polycarbonate roofing sheets are available in a range of profiles. Laserlite, one of the most well-known polycarbonate brands, is available in three profiles.
- As we mentioned, polycarbonate is clear, but it also comes in a range of tints and colours. Adding a colour or tint does reduce the light transparency, however, so it’s wise to factor this into your decision making.
- Polycarbonate roofing sheets are easy to install. Whether it’s replacing existing roofing or for a new project, a carport for your Adelaide home can most likely be roofed with polycarbonate comfortably within a few hours.
- Cutting polycarbonate roofing sheets is also easy.
- Polycarbonate roofing can also be shaped. You can even curve polycarbonate roofing if a curved roof is what you’re after (see image in this post).
- One thing to remember is that the greater the light transmission, the greater the heat penetration. While this isn’t such a major factor for a carport, if you’re also considering polycarbonate for your outdoor living area you may want to choose a colour or tint that strikes a balance between the light transmission and keeping the heat out. You might also want to consider a new polycarbonate material that has insulation qualities.
- Fitted as instructed, polycarbonate roofing is completely waterproof.
- Polycarbonate roofing sheets can be combined with metal roofing.
- Polycarbonate roofing is easy to maintain. Simply give it a clean with a soft sponge and water mixed with dishwashing detergent occasionally, followed by a good rinsing with a hose. A high pressure hose will suffice in harder to reach areas of your roof.
Call Mr Carports in Adelaide today on 1800 557 782 to find out how you can use polycarbonate on your carport.