If you’re in the market for a new Sydney carport, or you already have one, you’ll know what a blessing it is. A carport protects your cars from the elements, keeps you and your cars dry when it rains, keeps them cool when the sun is blazing and is practically a lifesaver when frost is in the air.
But there is one thing most carports won’t do and that’s protect your cars from thieves. But this doesn’t have to be the case. There are things you can do to make your carport a better ‘car-napping’ deterrent, so let’s take a look at these secure tips.
Secure your Sydney carport in 5 ways
- Installing lighting in your carport is an excellent idea, but installing flood lights with motion sensors is even better for security. Thieves do their best work in the dark and are usually scared off by bright floodlights that turn on without them suspecting it. The motion sensor lights are also handy when you arrive home at night.
- You might dismiss the idea of getting a security camera fitted with a view of your carport, but these days they’re everywhere and it makes good sense. Modern security cameras are relatively inexpensive, easy to install and easy to operate. Not only will it help to identify a thief after the fact, but it will help deter the theft in the first place if you also install a sign. Smile, you’re on candid camera!
- Carports are generally open structures, but potentially they don’t need to be that way. If your local council will allow it, you may be able to partly enclose the sides and end of your Sydney carport to improve security. You may also be able to install a garage door. Always check with your local council before enclosing a carport as it may not be possible in your area.
- If you’re building a new Sydney carport, build it at least a little way back from street. Even better, build your carport next to the house and with a view from a window or glass door. Not only is this good for security, it’s generally more practical for you to have the carport closer to the house.
- The simplest things you can do to keep your car secure in your Sydney carport won’t cost a cent. They are to never leave the keys in the car and always lock your car. Also, don’t store valuables in your car in plain sight. Hide them in the boot or lock them away in the house.
Organise a quote on your new, secure Sydney carport today
Armed with these five tips, you should be ready to organise your new, more secure Sydney carport, so here’s something else to feel secure about.
If you use Mr Carports for your new carport, you’ll have the peace of mind of dealing with a company that’s been designing and building carports since 1991. Since then, we’ve helped hundreds of Sydney-ites and thousands of Australians realise their carport dreams.
Give Mr Carports a call on 1800 557 782. You can also visit our Sydney carports page on the website to see examples of some of the customised carports that we’ve built.